Sunday, October 24, 2010

Inspired Living: Know YOU

Over the past few years, I've grown to know myself intimately. I've become my own best friend - I've developed a deeper understanding of myself and my complexities which has allowed me to develop more empathy and understanding for other people.

This is, I've found, essential to resolving our anger issues with other people. I am not a grudge holder, but I won't deny having carried things from relationships that could have been released sooner. In hindsight, I realize that having unrealistic expectations of myself led to unrealistic expectations of others which contributed to attempts at expressing negative energy that never should have existed.

Do you know yourself? I mean, do you REALLY know yourself? Do you spend time alone daily? Do you spend time thinking about yourself? Do you ever step out of the scene of your own movie to see the shot and the action? Knowledge of self, the greats have told us, is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of others. I've found that most people are too frightened by what they might discover if they really took the time to know and address themselves...but this is the beginning of power.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. "I've become my own best friend - I've developed a deeper understanding of myself and my complexities which has allowed me to develop more empathy and understanding for other people."

    I'm living this. It's so ironic that the key to a fulfilling life is to stop hiding and resisting who you are. I was raised in an environment that made me feel that my shadows made me a bad person...made me flawed. So, naturally I thought I needed to either fix these things or hide them. Now I realize that the way to be free is to accept and love these perceived "flaws" and the more I share myself, the more powerful and magnetic I become.

    I'm becoming more and more passionate about helping others to discover this too.

    ReplyDelete